Winding Options For Aero Pickups
General Pickup Options
Specifying a pickup requires the following information:
- Model (for example: Strad, Telle, JB, PB, AeroPJ, Soapbar, Aero SoapbarP...)
- Number of Strings
- Single or Dual Coil
- String spacing
- Exposed or Unexposed Pole Pieces
- Cover Dimension (L x W)
- Cover Material (Black or White Plastic or Hard-Wood)
The customer may want to discuss these items:
- Magnet Material
- Pole Piece Shape, Aperture, or Size
- Dual Coil Options (if applicable)
- String spacing - center of one string to the center of the adjacent string over the centerline of the pickup, and not at the physical bridge. For pole piece pickups, is specified at the time of purchase.
- Exposed Pole Pieces (magnet through the cover) - designs are available with Unexposed (flush) pole pieces, though some designs are available only with unexposed pole pieces.
- Magnet Material - Choice of available magnet materials
Soapbar Single or Dual Coil Pickup Winding Options
- SC - Single Coil - A single coil pickup in a soapbar shape
- PJ - A unique pickup, invented by Aero. This pickup is an in-line PB style pickup, a PB in a JB shape. The pickup is split in the center, e.g., for 4-string 2 & 2, or 5-string 3 & 2, or 6-string 3 & 3, etc. PJ pickups have only one active row of magnets, making them a SC-like hum canceling pickup. PJ pickups can be manufactured in any number of strings. This pickup has 2 leads.
- SHB - Series Hum Bucker - A dual coil hum bucking pickup with two leads. This pickup is not designed to be split into single coils. Retains most of the high harmonic content of a SC.
- SoapBarP - Another unique pickup, invented by Aero, a split PB pickup in a soapbar shape. Though the magnets are offset this variant of the SHB has only one active row of magnets, making it the hum canceling pickup that's most like a SC. SoapbarP pickups can be manufactured in any number of strings. Active pole pieces can be positioned either in the front or rear bobbin. There are 4 standard configurations of magnets, and many variations. This pickup has 2 leads.
- PHC - Parallel Hum Cancelling - Two independent SC's wired in parallel to hum cancel, or used independently as a SC pickup. These pickups have 4 leads, 2 per bobbin. For a neck/bridge set, the neck most coil of the neck pickup, and the bridge most coil of the bridge pickup can be utilized as a hum canceling pair, in the same way as the 2 SC pickups of a JB.
- DUMMY (Coil) - A PHC variant - Two independent coils wired in parallel to hum cancel, where the magnets of the "Dummy" coil are unmagnetized. For a neck/bridge set, the neck most coil of the neck pickup, and the bridge most coil of the bridge pickup can be utilized as a hum canceling pair, in the same way as the 2 SC pickups of a JB. These pickups have 4 leads, 2 per bobbin. The DUMMY coil pickup, in hum cancleing mode, sounds the most mid-rangy of all the dual coil winding options.
- CTSHB - Coil Tapped Series Hum Bucker - A 2 coil hum bucking pickup with 5 leads. This pickup is designed to be used as a SHB, and one coil (not both) is designed to be used as SC pickup. The coil designated as the SC is neck most coil of the neck pickup, and the bridge most coil of the bridge pickup. A neck/bridge set includes a hum canceling pair, in the same way as 2 SC pickups of a JB.
- CTPS - Coil Tapped Parallel or Series - This pickup is 3-pickups-in-1, a SC, a SHB and a PHC. These pickups have 6 leads, 3 per bobbin. Each pickup requires a rotary switch to select all the functions.